As part of our personal development programme the following document was produced by one of our trainee quantity surveyors in order to improve their understanding of the processes and systems integration to better help understand pricing and estimating for new and existing projects.
How to build MF Casoline Suspended Ceiling System with One Layer of Fireline Plasterboard and Skim
- Gypframe MF6 Perimeter Channel
- Gypframe MF12 Soffit Cleats
- Gypframe GA1 Steel Angle
- Gypframe MF11 Nut and Bolt
- Gypframe GAH2 Acoustic Hangers
- Gypframe MF7
- Gypframe MF5 Ceiling Section
- 15mm Fireline Plasterboard
- Thistle Multi-Finish Plaster 25kg
Step by Step Process
- Determine the required ceiling level and mark the position of Gypframe MF6 Perimeter Channel on the walls. Fix the Gypframe MF6 at 600mm centres, using appropriate fixings. Mark fixing points of Gypframe MF12 Soffit Cleats to the structure at 1200mm centres (this will form a 1200 x 1200mm grid). Secure each cleat using screw fixings. Cut the Gypframe GA1 Steel Angle to the approximate depth of suspension required andpPre-drill to facilitate fixing to soffit cleat.
- Locate each strap hanger or angle section against a Gypframe MF12 Soffit Cleat and fix using a Gypframe MF11 Nut and Bolt. Use a screw to fix to the structure.
- Mark fixing points of Gypframe GAH2 Acoustic Hangers to the joists at 1200mm centres. Secure each hanger using two Gyproc Drywall Timber Screws. Fix a Gypframe MF12 Soffit Cleat to the Gypframe Acoustic Hanger using an M6 Bolt, washers and locking nut.
- Mark fixing points of Gypframe GAH2 Acoustic Hangers to the structure at 1200mm centres. Then secure each hanger with a suitable concrete fixing including steel washers. This will ensure fixings do not pull through the acoustic rubber.
- No you can begin to form the primary grid by fixing the first Gypframe MF7 Support Channel. Rest one end on the top flange of the perimeter channel.
- Fix hangers (two fixings per hanger) to the Gypframe MF7 Primary Support Channel using Gypframe Wafer Head Jack-Point Screws.
- Extend Gypframe MF7 channels by overlapping back-to-back by 150mmminimum and fix together using two Gypframe Wafer Head Jack-Point Screws. Continue until this completes the primary grid.
- Form the secondary grid by running Gypframe MF5 Ceiling Section at right angles to the underside of the primary grid, engaging into Gypframe MF6 Perimeter Channel at the perimeter. Screw-fix the Gypframe MF5 to the Gypframe MF7 using two Gyproc Wafer Head Jack-Point Screws. An alternative connecting method is by using Gypframe MF9 Connecting Clips.
- Extend the Gypframe MF5 sections, overlapping them by 150mm minimum, and screw-fix them twice through each flange.
- Install a further Gypframe MF5 section to complete the grid. Additional Gypframe MF5 sections can be installed for extra support.
- Fix the 15mm Fireline plasterboard onto the Gypframe MF5 section with the long edges at the right angles to the framing using Gyproc Drywall Screws. Insert fixings no closer than 10mm from the bound board edges and 13mm from the cut edges. Stagger end joints.
- Finish/ skim the ceiling by using Thistle Multi-Finish plaster to provide a smooth and even finish.